Thanks, for helping me with my cover reveal, Patricia!
You may not realize it, but my Beast World series has a post-apocalyptic undertone... I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it yet, but in Broken Branch Falls and Cradle Rock, humans are the fantastical creatures and beasts are in control.
There are so many ways a world can end and a new one rise from its ashes. And there have been lots of post-apocalyptic stories lately... But how to choose! Well, today I'm talking about different types of apocalypse!
The End of the World as We Know It
- Supernova - This happens when a star explodes, but it has to be a really big star. And according to scientists, our sun isn't big enough. BUT, if a futuristic bad guy found a way to create this catastrophic explosion, the only survivors would be lightyears away in another solar system.
- Asteroid - This is not so unlikely! Movies like ARMAGEDDON & DEEP IMPACT & have glamorized a near miss. But in 2028, asteroid is predicted to come extremely close to Earth. And odds of survival are not good if it veered and hit us. (Source) Definitely a small number of people to start over with.
- Super storms - One scary real life example is Hurricane Sandy. Some say, the more we tamper with our climate, the bigger these destructive storms can get... take shelter! After the storm in a story, it's survival of the fittest or most conniving...
- Solar Flare - this phenomenon is intense high-energy radiation emitted from the sun. It can cause electromagnetic disturbances to disrupt radio and electronic transmissions. Stronger solar explosions could blow out transformers in power grids or disrupt satellite systems. Technology could be toast! (Source) And we'd be back to the pioneer days!
- Nuclear War - mass destruction and death in the real world. Mutations galore in a sci-fi world.
- Genetic Mutated Virus - What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... I AM LEGEND and the Walking Dead
- Global Warming - THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, WATERWORLD and 2012
- EMP - similar to solar flare, but man-made. Good-bye technology, hello Dark Ages...
- Aliens - Oh, yeah. Lots of examples of aliens taking over. BATTLEFIELD EARTH was one of my faves growing up (book, not movie)
- Artificial Intelligence - Robots rule! I, ROBOT and the MATRIX are the best!
- Evolution of Apes - PLANET OF THE APES and the Prequels! Love it!