Things that worked:
- Thunderclap campaigns. These were free and joining a group on FB made it easy to reach 100 supporters. It was an easy way to get the word out on Twitter.
- Paid sites for free days. I noticed whenever I did a free day for Michael, I got a few sales and some reads in the week that followed. This applied to when I did a TC for a free day too.
Things that were hit or miss:
- Tweets. Part of the plan was to use Twitter better for promotion. I scheduled one tweet per book throughout each month. Somewhere I read that having a graphic helps with visibility to I always made sure each tweet had a teaser image. Sometimes I got a lot of RTs and other times not. I also couldn't really tell if any of those led to sales. People could click through to the sale page, but that didn't mean they'd buy. BUT it was something free and only took a few minutes to do since I had everything I needed saved into a file and could copy and paste.
- Blog posts. Like the tweets, I got views and comments, but whether or not that led to sales is anyone's guess. It's another free thing I'll keep doing though.
Things that didn't work:
- Paid promotion on sites for discounted books never netted me a ROI. I always got sales, but I was always in the red. This is a tough one because, like I said, I got sales, but to really see this work, the best sites were the ones that had you slap down a lot of money. That wasn't something I could really afford to do.
So, what will I do different?
- I think I'm going to utilize Fivver more. There's a few promoters on there that I've heard good things about, and for only five bucks? Can't complain about that.
- Right now, I'm not going to spend over $15 on a promotion site. If I can get sales rolling, then I'll start spending more, but I can't kill my bank account by overspending on promotion for one site.
- Be more consistent with paid promotion. There were some months where I spent zero and my sales dashboard always reflected that.
Fruits of my labor (Stats)
- Total sales of all books: 81
- Total free downloads (not including Influence of Love): 517
- Total KU reads: 4494
- Total spent on paid sites: $76 (remember, I alloted $20 a month and that was $240 for the year.)
- Total RTs: 102
If you want to see my promo plan for 2016, here is the original post. I know it can be a daunting thing, so I'm totally okay with anyone stealing my plan. ;)