- Fresh Story - Many times, a story wasn't intended to be a series (like Pop Travel) But after you've written a fantastic story with well-defined characters, readers will ask for more and seek out other titles by you - especially sequels! And you get to decide if that's the direction you want to go. The first story is usually the best, where readers are introduced to characters and a new world. It's usually hard to match the excitement of the first novel. For the next stories to be appreciated as much as the first, they have to be that much better - new problems, new twists, and new secret surprises revealed... without being forced or hokey.
- Fresh Characters - Though a series is usually centered around one or a set of main characters, the next books in the series need new, interesting characters. They must complement the original characters, fitting into their world without being a distraction. While at the same time, they need to shake things up a bit, adding to the intrigue to keep readers wanting to know more about them. Sometimes giving a secondary character a bigger role is a good way to go with a sequel as well.
- Fresh Theme - The series has to have a common thread, but each book should have its own sub theme to make it unique, yet support the main idea. And the toughest part is getting it all across without overstating it. I also love covers that connect the series and give it a vibe to let readers easily find it and easily figure out what the series is about.
How about you? What do you think of reading and/or writing a series? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Finally, thank you, Patricia. I always love coming over for a visit. And I have a reminder for #storydam on my calendar in hopes of joining in one of these weeks! I'll surprise you sometime.
DISPOSAL has arrived!
Cooper and Geri are finally in a good place, but their bliss is short-lived when Cooper's rebellious nephew Jimmy moves in with them for a summer internship. He hits the town hard and thinks he's found the girl of his dreams in an fiery, exotic beauty. Against all words of warning, he pursues her and ends up getting kidnapped by her powerful Drug Lord father. Geri tracks him down, but gets herself kidnapped as well.
Now it's up to Cooper to use all his resources to save them, including the hot homicide detective Geri secretly despises, and the latest sketchy gadgets his genius friend Hasan offers him to field-test. Sure, why not? Cooper will do anything to get his family back.
Get it on KINDLE
Paperback (coming soon)
About the Author
YouTubeChannel | @TaraTylerTalks | TaraTylerAuthor on FB | Tara Tyler Talks | theReallyRealHousewives
Other works by Tara:
Pop Travel & Simulation - The Cooper Chronicles
Broken Branch Falls & Cradle Rock - Beast World fantasy series
- FRI, NOV 17 - Tyrean Martinson - 5 Things that will get you published!
- MON, NOV 20 - Christine Rains - The Lazy Housewife talks Garage Goals
- THU, NOV 23 - Juneta Key - I'm Thankful for where I am
- MON, NOV 27 - Patricia Lynne
- THU, NOV 30 - Diane Burton - The Lazy Housewife talks Bathroom Blues
- WED, DEC 6 - MJ Fifield - Special IWSG: Will anyone like me? Will anyone care?
- FRI, DEC 8 - Elizabeth Seckman - The Journey of the Really Real Housewives
- MON, DEC 11 - C. Lee McKenzie